Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Donkey continued ?

The vet is still unsure of the reason for hair loss on the donk. I did go ahead and worm him and then delouse him with one treatment. Its been snowing here, so haven't been able to do more, will try tonight hopefully.



Has anyone had lice problems and how long did it take before you noticed improvement with hair growing back?



How many treatments of the dusting stuff did you use? The jar isn't really specific for how often you should treat them or if its a one time thing.



Donkey continued ?

I had an outbreak of ringworm a few years ago. Everyone got a few bald patches which cleared up quickly after dabbing with a bit of OTC anti-fungal cream I had on hand... except poor George, whom I believe STILL has compromised immunities from his sepsis as a newborn.



I must have bathed him a dozen times in antifungal shampoo, and I must have doused him with gallons of the solution from the vet, as well as SEVERAL tubes of AF cream for his face.



He looked like those hairless cats. My poor, hypoallergenic horse.



Have they ruled out fungus? I've missed the original question somehow.



Donkey continued ?

Didn't see the other post, but just read up on lice all over the net because I'm the one who checked out the Tyger Spotted jack who was full of lice.



Basically, the U of Nebraska had the best info online.



It said to do the treatments every two weeks to take care of the larvae. Also to treat with spray the entire area of the environment. So if it was in a stall, strip and spray everywhere.



I got the idea that three treatments should do it if you kept away reinfestation. The first two were absolute, the third for good measure.



Donkey continued ?

Apparently, what works on a horse, doesn't seem to work on a donk, but I understand that if you have a warm enough day that you can wet down all the winter woolies, one application of Asuntol should do the trick. Here is a link to a website that has it, although it doesn't mention donkeys, I know that lots of people use it on them and it works. Good luck.



http://www.vetcontact.com/en/art.php?a=5...



Donkey continued ?

My vet said two... I did notice a difference in him itching and rubbing after the second dusting (two weeks apart).



We're where it's cold as hell too, I'm snowed under! :)



Donkey continued ?

Mule it took about a month to see a good reaction to my horses treatment(about every week and a half i would apply more)he slowly started to stop itching himself on everything around him including me and took about 6 weeks before his hair started to come in good.

No comments:

Post a Comment